Do your teeth hurt when you eat food that is too hot or too cold? If so, you may be suffering from a receding gum line
. This common problem is easy to overlook. This can initially be the cause of your sensitive teeth, but if left untreated may lead to more serious complications. Dr. Kent is a periodontist that specializes in the latest surgical techniques to correct receding gums in Birmingham, AL.
Causes of Receding Gums
Your gums can begin to peel back away from your teeth for a number of reasons. The most common cause is poor dental hygiene. After years of neglect, the debris from the food you eat seeps down below the gums where it is impossible to remove with normal brushing or flossing.
Bacterial infections weaken the tissues and cause:
• Red or swollen gums
• Bleeding while brushing or flossing
• Receding gum line or gums that pull back away from the teeth
• Loose feeling in your teeth
The pain you feel from hot or cold temperatures is the result of the roots being exposed.
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique
Infections like these are treatable in the early stages with a deep cleaning procedure. Your gums can heal naturally and will begin to grow back into their healthy places. When the damage is too severe, surgical procedures are required.
In the past, a graft of gum tissue to the affected area was necessary. This invasive procedure puts significant stress on your mouth and requires several painful sutures.
• A local anesthetic numbs the affected area.
• A pinhole sized opening is created in your gums to facilitate the placement of surgical tools.
• Using a special instrument, your gums are maneuvered downward and repositioned over your exposed teeth.
• The gums are held in the new position with strips of collagen until they heal.
This procedure is minimally invasive. There are no incisions or sutures, and the benefits of a healthier smile are enjoyed right away.
If you have been suffering from sensitive teeth and want to find out if your gums can be restored using this method, contact our office at (205) 255-3811.
Currently rated by 0 people