Did you know that the success rate of dental implantsis over 95%? That is an excellent standard of quality. If you are a patient, however, you would most likely to see 100%. The good news is that you can impact that number, increasing it dramatically with your own efforts. How can you protect your new dental implants in Birmingham, AL? Dr. Leigh W. Kent discusses some of the most common reasons implants fail and how you and your periodontist can avoid them.
3 Reasons Implants Fail
1. You are suffering from a chronic illness. Patients who have chronic health conditions, like diabetes or Crohn’s disease, are more susceptible to failed dental implants. Discussing any medical conditions with your periodontist allows you both to plan better, ensuring better outcomes.
2. The presence of periodontal infection. Your dental implants require a healthy environment. The inflammation caused by gum disease can wreak havoc on your new implants. Maintaining your oral care routine is critical.
3. You have lost a significant amount of bone to gum disease. Your dental implants are inserted into the jaw bone and need sufficient bone density to complete the integration process. This process gives them the security and permanence that they are known for. Your doctor should find this condition before your dental implants procedure and recommend a bone augmentation treatment to increase your likelihood of success.
Signs of a Failing Dental Implants
You can also be pro-active and learn to spot a failing implant and seek immediate attention from your doctor at the first sign of trouble.
1. The implant wiggles like a loose tooth.
2. You experience pain around the implant.
3. Your gums become inflamed at the site of the implant.
Interested in implants? Dr. Kent is an experienced periodontist, skilled in implant dentistry. Call our office to schedule a one-on-one consultation and learn how dental implants can improve your quality of life.
Currently rated by 0 people