If you are considering dental implants, you are probably wondering what you can expect during the recovery period. Today’s advanced surgical techniques have made implant placement more effective and comfortable than ever before. Many times, patients can return to work and normal activities just a few days after surgery. In order to assure proper dental health in Birmingham, AL, especially during your recovery period, here are six tips for better healing after your surgery:
1. Use gauze – slight bleeding at the surgical site is normal for the first 24 hours after the procedure. Bite gently down on a piece of gauze for at least 30 minutes. Continue this process as necessary and avoid strenuous activity to reduce the chances of bleeding.
2. Try ice – surgery commonly results in slight swelling and bruising of the area for 3-4 days. Place an ice pack on your cheek to help calm the treatment site during the first 48 hours.
3. Take medication – you will probably be prescribed antibiotics or medication to control any pain or discomfort after surgery. Be sure to take these as directed. They are important for your dental healthand comfort as you heal.
4. Minimize activity – Light exercise after surgery, such as walking, is generally nonstrenuous enough to be acceptable. Refrain from any exercise that is straining and activities that require bending over or picking up large objects.
5. Restrict diet – be sure to stick to soft foods and liquids during your recovery and do not eat any solid foods for 3-5 days after surgery. Do not to smoke or drink alcohol for several weeks.
6. Oral hygiene – swish warm salt water 4-5 times a day, especially after eating and drinking, beginning the day after surgery. This can help clean your mouth and ensure dental health before you begin brushing and flossing.
Have more questions?
We have the answers! Schedule your consultation to learn more about recovery after dental implants and how to ensure proper dental health in Birmingham, AL.
Currently rated by 0 people