You can increase the risk of developing bad breath and gum disease if you neglect your oral care routine. If you have halitosis, you may need to work with Dr. Kent to maintain optimal oral health and prevent future problems. These are some of the common causes of bad breath:
- Gum Disease
- An active infection in the mouth can cause bad breath due to sulfur compounds produced by bacteria.
- Lifestyle Habits
- Using tobacco products is a known contributor to mouth malodor.
- Food Choices
- Eating certain types of foods, such as garlic, onions, and spices, can affect your breath.
- Oral Hygiene Routine
- Neglecting to brush and floss your teeth can cause halitosis and contribute to gum disease.
Tips for Preventing Halitosis
Some of the things you can do to prevent bad breath include:
- Brushing with a fluoridated toothpaste
- Flossing teeth daily
- Getting professional teeth cleanings
- Refraining from tobacco product use
- Drinking more water throughout the day
- Maintaining a food diary
Other causes of bad breath include: yeast infections in the mouth, chronic illness, dry mouth, and poorly fitting dental appliances. You can prevent bad breath by maintaining good oral hygiene, having your teeth professionally cleaned as recommended, and refraining from tobacco product use. Eliminating foods with strong odors, such as cheese, fish, and spicy foods, from your diet can also help.
You do not have to be a victim of chronic halitosis! For more information about bad breath treatment options, schedule your appointment in Birmingham, AL with Dr. Kent today!